These delicious but very simple cookies were one of the most popular recipes on the Good Food website last year.
Developed by Darren for our always fun 'Cookie Week' and they were so popular that we know they WILL return for this years cookie week. Dates for this year have been confirmed as June 28th until July 12th (as we all know Cookie Week is actually a fortnight of biscuity madness).
Check out our range of cookies and biscuits at B&P HERE and the original recipe for these Lemon Drop cookies can be found in Darren's ebook 'Cookies, Biscuits & Macaroons' available here to buy and download.
Enjoy these tangy biscuits and as ever if you make them and post to socials please use the hashtag #cookwithdarren so we can see.
P.S. Yes we know we are replicating lemon icing for the second time in two weeks but it is delicious so...
Makes: 16 Biscuits
115g Unsalted butter, room temperature
200g Caster sugar
1 Vanilla pod, seeds split & scraped – or extract
1 no. Lemon, juice & zest
55g (1 no.) Egg, lightly beaten
245g Plain flour, sieved
3g (1/2 tsp) Baking powder
65ml (3tbsp) Lemon juice
125g Icing mixture
1. Preheat an oven to 180C standard / 160C fan forced.
2. Line two standard baking trays with silicone baking paper.
3. If using a stand mixer* place the butter, sugar, vanilla and zest into a bowl fitted with a paddle, beat on a medium speed until the mixture is pale, smooth and creamy. Scrape the sides of the bowl down with a spatula or scraper.
4. Add the egg and beat again until all is combined.
5. Sieve the flour and baking powder together and add, mix slowly until a soft dough forms.
6. Divide the dough into 16 even sized balls and roll into balls press each of them gently onto the baking trays, 8 per tray.
7. Bake the cookies for 12 minutes or until cooked and lightly golden in colour. Leave to cool on a cake rack and make the glaze.
8. To make the glaze, sieve the icing mixture into a bowl and gradually add the lemon juice a few drops at a time. Mix with a spoon and add lemon juice until you have a thick but smooth lemon icing.
9. Spoon the icing over each cookie and allow to set.
*Otherwise add the ingredients to a mixing bowl and beat well by hand with a stiff spatula.