Custard Creams are a popular biscuit in the UK and nostalgic reminder of home. Buttery and rich, this recipe is simple and totally delicious. You can try different flavours in the butter cream, I love to add gin, but grated citrus rinds work brilliantly too. I hope you enjoy this recipe. DP
Darren's Custard Creams
Custard Cream Dough
130g Plain Flour
60g Custard Powder
100g Caster Sugar
115g Butter, Unsalted, Softened
1 Vanilla Pod Scraped
1. Start by beating together butter and sugar until light, pale and creamy.
2. Add the milk, vanilla and dry ingredients. Mix until the dough starts clumping together.
3. Tip out the dough on a lightly floured surface and gather into a ball.
4. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough. If you want the embossed effect, roll over it once with an embossed rolling pin or you can use a textured mat.
5. Cut out desired shape with a cutter.
6. Transfer pieces to baking trays, placed approximately 2.5cm apart and bake for 10 minutes.
7. The dough can be successfully frozen if you want to make a smaller batch.
Custard Buttercream Filling
175g Icing Mixture
30g Custard Powder* (see recipe below)
115g Unsalted Butter
1. Combine all of the ingredients and beat together until pale and fluffy. Transfer the cream into a piping bag.
2. Pipe the the buttercream on to half of the cookies and top them with the other halves.
150g Whole Milk Powder
As Needed - Yellow Food Colour (I like a bit of colour)
40g Vanilla Sugar
Method - Combine all the ingredients together thoroughly.